STATUS UPDATE: PB Cosmetology Education Centre is open for currently attending students and by appointment for prospective students and graduates only. The Student Salon is now open to the public by appointment only. Please call (856) 456-4927 to make an appointment. Cosmetology Full and Part-Time class enrollment is now open for November Cosmetology. Students can contact admissions at (856) 739-4088 for additional information.
To view our Reopen Plan CLICK HERE.
Find a new career in cosmetology with PB Beauty School's industry leading education. Learn theory from professionals, and apply it in our student salon while you build your portfolio.
The curriculum for the 1200 hour Cosmetology and Hairstyling Course includes instructional units and clinical practice. The subject matter consists of:
- State laws, rules, and regulations for cosmetology and hairstyling and administrative shop operations
- Decontamination and infection control
- Professional image, hygiene, and related practices
- History of barbering
- Beard and mustache trimming
- Facials and massage, skin care, make-up, depilatory, eyebrow arching
- Shampooing including temporary and semi-permanent rinses
- Hair and scalp treatment, reconditioning treatments
- Hair and basic layer and clipper cut, razor, scissors, thinning shears, tapering
- Hairstyling including pin curls, finger waves, and air forming
- Hair tinting and highlighting including frosting and tipping
- Permanent waving
- Chemical relaxing and pressing
- Thermal curling and waving
- Manicure and pedicure
- Chemistry related to cosmetology
Fill out our Free Application.
Apply today! Take the first step toward the career of your dreams and fill out our free application. Someone from our Admissions Office will review your application and schedule a one-on-one campus tour.
Students spend the first 600 hours (junior phase) in a classroom setting learning theory and practical instruction on a mannequin. For practical testing, students are invited to bring models to class for hair cutting and hair coloring. Class size is limited to 25 students per class. Students transition to the student salon for the second set of 600 hours (senior phase) where they are permitted to work on the general public under the supervision of licensed New Jersey educators. All beauty services are offered at a discount to encourage the public to visit the student salon. The senior phase of the training also includes special preparation to pass the NJ State Board Licensing Exam and job search techniques including building an online portfolio. The school’s Job Placement Coordinator can provide further assistance to students that need help starting their career. Occupations include Hairstylists, Barbers, Nail Technicians, Makeup Artists, Product Representatives, Salon Managers, and Salon Owners.
Guest artists and field trips are added to enhance the curriculum. Students are encouraged to travel with the school to the International Beauty Show in New York City every year. It is the largest trade show for the beauty industry that is offered close to home. Other field trips include visits to Urban Decay, MAC Cosmetics, and the IMATS Show in NYC. Guest artists are invited to present their expertise in a particular subject area throughout the course. Special guests have included makeup artist AJ Crimson, Barbers GWhiz, and Jay the Barber, Nail Specialist Pahola Mercado, Dermalogica Expert Kelly King, David Williams from BMU hair extensions, Delia’s Special Effects Makeup, and YouTube Sensation Megan Kroh.
- Advanced education classes are offered in Airbrush Makeup, Advanced Fading, Brow Expert, Eyelash Extension, Gelish Gel Nails, Keratin Complex, Norvell Spray Tan, and Matrix Color Techniques. All advanced education classes are separate from the basic 1,200-hour curriculum and are offered to professional cosmetologists, graduates, and currently attending students. Please contact the Admissions Office for the cost of advanced education classes. Job placement services are available to all students upon graduation and all students create a portfolio and resume as a showcase of their practical expertise.
Cosmetology Program Student Kit
Required materials for our cosmetology program, tailored for the best hands-on student learning experience.
○ Pivot Point 13 book library set
○ 6 manikins (includes 5 female and 1 one male)
○ Hot Tools blow dryer, curling iron, and flat iron
○ Andis Clipper/Trimmer set
○ Assortment of different styling brushes, combs, and clips
○ Manikin stand
○ Rolling carry case with deluxe professional carry caddie
○ Coloring brushes, bowls, applicator bottle
○ Spray bottle
○ Shark Fin Shear set with shears, thinning shears , and razor
○ Shaving razor
○ 6 piece manicuring set with Tweezers
○ Kolinsky Professional Acrylic Nail Brush
○ 2 Glass dappen dishes
○ Professional Ofra makeup kit complete with foundation, lipsticks, eye and lip liners, and brushes
○ Manicure bowl